Residence in Andorra: permit and procedures
For live effectively in the Principality of Andorra you need to have a authorization or permission for this purpose. However, there are several types of immigration permits, each with its rights and obligations, requirements, conditions, necessary documentation and procedures.
The purpose of this page is going to be exactly break down the different types of authorizations and indicate the typical cases in which such permits could be applied.
Residence and work permit (third party account)
This permission authorizes reside and work for others permanently and effectively in the country during the validity of the authorization.
- Take advantage of the statutory quota.
- Have an indeterminate employment contract with a company legally established in the country.
- Establish permanent and effective residence in Andorra
May require, among others: passport, passport photograph, criminal record, document of accommodation and marital status, resume, extract of points of the CASS, common residence certificate and salary bulletins.
Residence and self-employment permit
This permission authorizes reside and exercise an activity on their own in the country permanently during the validity of the authorization.
- Take advantage of the statutory quota.
- Exercise an activity on your own.
- Establish your residence permanently in the Principality of Andorra.
May require, among others: passport or DNI, passport photograph, criminal record, document of accommodation and marital status, CV, documentation for foreign investment or liberal professional, extract points from the CASS, certificate of residence of the Common.
It is important to note that in case of a foreign investment, it is necessary to make cash and deposit to the Andorran Financial Authority (AFA) the amount of fifteen thousand euros (15,000 euros) unpaid. Later we will explain more clearly what this is about the deposit of the AFA and its reasons.
Residence permit without work or passive
This residence permit is somewhat special, since it can be obtained in four different ways, each one with its requirements, procedures, necessary documentation and extra obligations. The main and majority is the so-called "non-profit activity", and it is the one that we will deal with first.
Authorizes reside in the country during the validity of the authorization without exercising any activity labor or professional.
- Benefit from the statutory quota
- Establish the primary and effective residence in Andorra for at least 90 days per calendar year without exercising any work or professional activity
Period and renewals
- Initial authorization and first renewal for two years
- Second renewal for three years
- Successive renewals for ten years except nationals of States with CDI with Andorra (*).
(*) Except residence for admission to geriatric centers or medical or therapeutic care centers, whose period is one year, renewable and renewable from year to year.
It may require, among others: passport or ID, passport photograph, criminal record, document of accommodation and marital status, curriculum vitae, prove annual income greater than 300% of the current annual minimum wage or certificate of residence of the Common.
In order to obtain the residence permit without work by this means, the applicant must demonstrate his commitment to the country, permanently and effectively. invest at least € 400,000 in Andorran assets. Specifically in the following types of assets:
- Property located in the territory of the Principality of Andorra.
- Participations in the capital stock or in the equity of companies resident in the Principality of Andorra.
- Debt instruments or finances issued by entities resident in the Principality of Andorra.
- Public debt instruments issued by any public Administration of the Principality Andorra.
- Life insurance products contracted with entities resident in the Principality of Andorra.
- Deposits not paid to the Andorran Financial Authority (AFA).
However, of those € 400,000, the main holder must make cash and deposit to the Andorran Financial Authority (AFA) the amount of 50,000 euros unpaid, as well as 10,000 euros unpaid for each of the people in their charge who acquire the status of non-profit resident. These amounts will be deducted from the amount referred to in the previous section.
Residence for professionals with international projection or scientific, cultural or sports interest
This permit authorizes to reside in the country during the validity of the authorization and also to carry out a professional activity provided that:
- The headquarters or base where the professional activity is carried out is located in the territory of the Principality of Andorra.
- The professional person with international projection has a maximum of one person hired in a labor regime.
- At least 85% of the services provided by the professional person are used in any other country or territory other than Andorran.
- Make cash and deposit the amount with the Andorran Financial Authority (AFA) of 50,000 euros plus 10,000 euros unpaid by each of the people in his charge.
- Accredit economic viability of the activity that it intends to carry out and demonstrate that this activity will generate sufficient economic resources that will allow both it and its dependents to reside in Andorra.
- Prove that you have a sufficient level of qualification and professional experience in the sector in which the activity is carried out or in the case of cultural, scientific or sports interest, provide a copy of any document that proves the amount of income derived, during the year prior to obtaining authorization, from the activity in which the authorization is framed.
Residence for admission to geriatric centers or medical or therapeutic care centers
Authorizes to reside in the country during the validity of the authorization in a private nursing home or private medical or therapeutic care facility for at least 90 days per calendar year, without exercising any work or professional activity.
Residence permit for regrouping
This permission the regrouped with a person of Andorran nationality or with the holder of a residence and work authorization authorizes to reside in Andorra (either on their own or someone else's), provided they reside in the country. They can request it, in accordance with current legislation:
- The spouse or member of the stable couple union.
- Your minor children and the minor children of the spouse have legal custody and custody.
- Their children of legal age, and the children of legal age of the spouse, in charge and those who exercise legal guardianship or who have under their protection in the framework of a similar institution.
- Dependent ascendants who are at least 65 years old or who are retired.
- Other persons who are said when the requesting person exercises legal guardianship or is under their protection within the framework of another similar institution recognized by the Andorran legal system and not contrary to national public order, provided that both parents have lost or their homeland has been extinguished power.
Ten-year period when the regrouping is with a person of Andorran nationality
With the holder of a residence and work authorization, it is delivered for an initial duration of one year, renewable three times for periods of two years and with subsequent renewals they are delivered for ten years (except for nationals of states with CDI) .
It may require, among others: passport or ID, passport photograph, criminal record, document of accommodation and marital status, document proving health insurance, documents proving the applicant's financial means and income (if you have ), documents proving the family bond with the person requesting and other documents.
Deposit in the AFA
Recently, the Andorran authorities ordered that for foreign investments (permission on own account as administrator of a company) and passive residences it is necessary to deposit as bail in the Andorran Financial Authority (AFA) a certain amount in euros.
The reason, whether well-founded or not and the excessive amount or not, was that previously there were incidents of false self-employed and people who left the country after residing leaving debts with the Andorran administrations. To mitigate this, they decided to make the payment of a bond mandatory as a demonstration that they really wanted to invest in the country and had a commitment to the Principality.
Although these amounts can be an obstacle for many people when deciding to invest and live in Andorra, it must also be said that they recover fully without problems after terminating residence in the country, provided that one does not have debts with the administrations or mishaps of similar style.
Other residence permits
In addition to these main types (namely, residence and self-employment, residence without work and residence by regrouping) there are other types of specific permissions for certain groups. For example, permits for border workers, school personnel, for study and other reasons, temporary immigration (seasonal), etc. However, these types of permits are or quite similar to others (For example, the temporary immigration permit is very similar to that of residence and work for others) or very specific (frontier workers). So we do not treat them in depth.
As always, we finally remember that at Andorra Insiders we work and collaborate with the best experts andorra to offer legal, tax and accounting services of all kinds, especially those related to business, companies and investments in the country. If you want to move your business or set up a new company and live in Andorra, Feel free to contact us. You can also read all the services we can offer you.